10.17.2006

Overcoming

I’ve just finished reading Hannah Hurnard’s book “Hind’s Feet on High Places”. It is a fantastic allegory in the vein of John Bunyan’s “Pilgrim’s Progress”. It tells of the journey of the crippled peasant Much Afraid as she follows the Chief Shepherd to the High Places of the Kingdom of Love. The following quote is from Much Afraid, after she has completed the long, hard journey to the Kingdom of Love and has been transformed by the Shepherd, and given her new name of Grace and Glory.

“Therefore I begin to think, my Lord, you purposely allow us to be brought into contact with the bad and evil things that you want changed. Perhaps that is the very reason why we are here in this world, where sin and sorrow and suffering and evil abound, so that we may let you teach us so to react to them, that out of them we can create lovely qualities to live forever. That is the only really satisfactory way of dealing with evil, not simply binding it so that it cannot work harm, but whenever possible overcoming it with good.”

I thought that was pretty basic but profound. Thoughts are always welcome. If anyone reads this.

1 comment:

Trail Rated said...

I lovethat book - I have great memories of my father reading it to the family as children, and It made a great impact on my life.